- Songs of Power; Entities of Light
Songs of Power; Entities of Light:
Spirituality and Worldview of the Abenakis and their Wabanaki Neighbors
9:00 Am-4:00 PM, March 24th. Abenaki Tribal Headquarters 100 Grand Ave. Swanton
- What are the fundamental elements of our ancient spirituality?
- What is power?
- Did/do we have shamans and what do shamans do?
- What does “All our relations” mean, spiritually?
- What is personal ceremony (birth, puberty, marriage, profession, death) from an Abenaki perspective?
- Are places sacred and why?
- Did we have a well developed sense of medical spirituality?
- Agricultural cultures like the Abenakis have special types of spirituality, what is it like?
- What is wampum and is it sacred? What are the Wampum Laws?
- What is religious syncretism (a historical blending of Abenaki and other traditions such as Catholicism or “Pan-Indianism”) and how should we deal with it today?
- How do we Abenakis fit into the overall setting of Native American Spirituality and Worldview?
Discussion is VERY MUCH encouraged!
St. Francis/Sokoki Band